4.8.10

Passing On

So our ward has been full of excitement this summer, and I guess I'm learning quite a bit about what it actually means to be a part of Relief Society. In case anyone's wondering, we've moved/helped clean for a TON of people and total meals prepped/delivered since July=32. Can you imagine?! It's been BUSY, but the best kind of busy there could be- what isn't there to love about serving others? It's truly a ward "family" in the best sense of the word.
We had a funeral today for Zelma Nish, who was such a sweetheart, and who I had grown to love through visiting teaching. She was always on the go, always had some great story to tell, and always had a blanket to crochet or a new painting to do. I am amazed at how much she could get done and I will miss her dearly. Her funeral was bittersweet, but mostly sweet. She and her husband had been married 67yrs, in the last few years they had come back to full activity in the church and a few months ago they were sealed in the temple for time and all eternity. That's sweet at it's finest. It was wonderful to see the chapel completely full and to hear stories and remember the kind things that she did for others. As I was in the kitchen getting food ready my mind was turned to all the sisters in my life who have served me or who I've observed serve others. It was strange to picture myself in this "new role". I really don't feel more than 18yrs old in my head, so to think that I was the one in the kitchen today was a really weird thing for me. But I'm glad it was me, because it gave me an opportunity to really feel the magnitude of Relief Society and what it means to be a member of such a wonderful organization.
Here's an example of why I love it so much:
Last minute the person who had agreed to help me set up etc... had to cancel which was okay. I had no idea what I was going to do given I have never done anything like this before, and the RS President wouldn't be there until just before the funeral started, but what else could I do? So I get to the church and another sister in our ward had shown up an hour early, thinking that the funeral started at noon?! I know without a doubt that that wasn't just a coincidence. I needed help and it was there, and how wonderful that she was prepared to say "Well I'm here, so what can I do to help?" I can't imagine not having her help, or how funerals go for people that don't have access to the willing hearts and hands of Relief Society sisters, but this one went beautifully and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father provided the help that I needed today.
Now I'll know what to do for the next funeral... on Saturday :) Yes that's right, another member of our ward passed away last night- I told you, our ward's exciting!

No comments: