11.2.11

Learning New Things!

This month has been full of fun so far, and we are loving it! Here are some photos to prove it!
Kalea learning to actually stay on Steve's feet and dance :)
Kalea posing with her gourmet pizza, I forgot to drizzle olive oil over top so the cheese wouldn't brown so much, oh well. Oh and I guess she's learned how to suck her belly in for pictures, I have NO CLUE where she learned that...
Last night I learned how to turn this...
Into this...
Brynlee approves!
Back story about my quest to learn how to crochet***
Our Relief Society is helping to crochet premie beanies for a women's hospital in Manilla. It's one of the few "free" hospitals for these women to deliver their babies in, but according to some of the missionaries who are serving there right now, the condition of the hospital is none too appealing. In fact if I lived there, I probably would rather have my baby at home. We complain about so much over here ie. having to share a room post delivery. Um, over there they get to share a delivery room with a bunch of other laboring women-with no dividers or anything, and then afterwards they share a bed with their own baby, another woman and the other woman's baby. The hospital handles around 108 births a week. If you need medication of any kind your family is supposed to bring it to the hospital and unless you have a c-section, there isn't any other alternative for "pain management"... Cannot even comprehend what that would be like in these kinds of conditions. Anyways, their babies are mostly premie size because of the lack of available pre-natal care in the communities that this hospital serves, and although it's a "tropical" climate, the babies still need hats to help them regulate their temp, etc... and very few go home with even a light blanket to swaddle in. So we're making a bunch of hats and receiving blankets to ship out at the end of March. If anyone wants to lend a hand, let me know, it's definitely worth the effort to learn a new skill!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do your walls look darker? Did you paint or did I just forget what life is like in Calgary?

Tiffany Johnson said...

Oh my crap, your girls are so cute. I can't wait to see them. Oh, and even though we will only be together for a weekend, you MUST give me a little insight to your crocheting skills.. ADORABLE!

Carmen said...

Allison, this is AWESOME! Manila is in our part of the world and you are totally right about the conditions that women who have to use the public hospitals give birth in. The thing is, YOU would never give birth in these conditions because you could afford a private hospital (Still much cheaper than at home and not even close to as nice). It's actually probably good that these women who do use this service don't give birth at home because their homes are more like the ones in my blog post and those babies would be in even worse conditions than at the hospital (which is hard to imagine). Even though it isn't "my" country technically, thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this service and even more, for KNOWING the story and why they need this service. Love you.