12.7.11

I Have A Family Here on Earth

We recently returned from our McMurray Reunion in Bear Lake. We loved it. Our kids loved it and everyday since we've been home have asked repeatedly, "Go car ride?!" I wish it were that easy to just pick up and go hang out whenever we feel so inclined. Too bad gas is so expensive and we don't have access to an evergreen money tree. Val & Scott et al did a great job organizing what was a very successful reunion and we couldn't be more grateful for their efforts, we just wish more family could've come and enjoyed it all with us! We had a few tender mercies along the way that removed the financial stress of it all and we're very grateful for that as well. We would've taken the hit regardless, but it was so nice to come home and still basically be on track with our financial plan. It's evidence to me that my Heavenly Father is profoundly aware of my needs, even when I think He's got bigger things to deal with.
This reunion venue had a lot of perks that made life a lot easier. Adjoining rooms and lots of bathrooms are more important than I previously thought! Steve and I have already started looking for similar venues in Southern Alberta for the next reunion.
Anyways, it was a busy weekend, but it was tons of fun. Our kids travelled really well, we only watched one movie in the car? I guess they just really liked the scenery? They also had a lot of fun with their cousins running around the property, climbing the playground and locking people out of the cabin... Oh yes, Kalea's fetish of locking people out of places travelled with us! She did not get the time-outs that she deserved while we were there, my trick was to let Steve deal with most of the frustrating things that she did and he did well. One of my cousins actually told me she was amazed at how patient I was with Kalea, which made me happy that at least I was fooling somebody! I did learn a few things about parenting while on vacation- I'm sure some "expert" has already written a book that covers these points, but I like to learn from my own experiences.
1: Correct the behavior in the moment or they come home way brattier than they were before :)
2: Extending bedtime by a half hour is great, missing it by 2hrs is a horrible, terrible, very bad thing.
3: Kalea does not eat much around a lot of people or if there's a park available to her 24/7 so be prepared for lots of snacking. Brynlee eats like a champ no matter what, you just have to remember to feed her, poor thing.
4: Do not take kids straight from a 10hr car ride to a family restaurant, they will not behave, you will be embarrassed and you will have little patience/tolerance, they will not sit still and you or your spouse will not get to eat your/their food.
5: Vacationing with kids is still a lot of work. Do not be fooled into thinking it will be sunshine and happiness the whole time just because you moved your chaotic life to another location HAHA

We still had a great time despite our lack of knowledge as far as parenting on vacation goes, we will do worlds better next time. Steve sacrificed a lot of fun-time so that I could still be a part of the evening activities, he was a huge help and he has an incredible amount of patience that serves us well.
We really love our family, immediate and extended. It's fun to look forward to reunions and to have a spouse that values the importance of these things as well. I am really fortunate that he is willing to sacrifice so much so that I don't ever have to worry about whether or not we're going, we are always going to go- unless I am very pregnant and unable to travel, have pregnancy complications or our kids are gravely ill. Bottom line, family is where we want to be. It's important to be together and to have and not miss out on opportunities to make more memories together. We love it and we look forward to the next one!

1 comment:

Sheri said...

I'm so glad you had a great trip! I love all of your tips......lol (so been there).
We were shocked at how much easier travelling was this year with the kids being (2.5, 3.5 yrs)......seriously, night and day from the years previous! There is hope that one day it will be a total breeze ;)