17.6.11

S'more Fiasco

Here is the difference between using the "instructions" and using my own brain. The instructions said to put your oven rack at the highest level and broil for 2-4minutes... Ahem... I put my oven rack at the top and at least realized that if I did that with a full size marshmallow I would probably end up with the broiling element covered in a gooey mess, so I cut my mallows in half. Thank goodness. My other "observation" was that it took no less than 5-10 seconds for me to notice the swirling white smoke that was escaping through the oven exhaust vent and another 5 to realize that "Oh my heck smoke means fire!" I opened the oven door and it looked like there was a marshmallow-roasting-gone-wrong bonfire happening, or in other words, my baking tray was full of beautiful orange & blue flames, so I closed the oven door and said, "Um, Steve, I have a fire, what do I do?!?!?!" Thank goodness he was home because I was scared to throw an oven mitt on and pull the tray out? I know, I am so incapable around flames. Anyways, on his way to rescue his damsel in distress, Steve tripped over the baby gate that keeps the littles out of my kitchen. Pretty funny. But once he steadied himself he was able to reach his oven mitt protected hands into the oven and pull out the flaming tray of inedible delights thus putting an end to the flames and saving the day. All in a days work for our hero.
To show him my appreciation I decided to attempt round 2 of s'more making but this time I would access the full capacity of my brain, instead of just a small portion. First I moved the oven rack down to basically the middle. I still used half cuts of my marshmallows because I wanted to decrease the chance of anything going awry with this batch. I set the timer for 2mins and probably opened the oven door ever 15 seconds to make sure nothing was flaming. I was a bit paranoid. The marshmallows browned perfectly, oh my goodness it was heavenly. I am so glad that I bought that stupid kit, but I only got to enjoy half of it, so I am going to see if Superstore/President's Choice will give me another one, you know, for "emotional damages" HA

2 comments:

Sheri said...

YUM! I think we might have to give those a try. Way to use your brain and then share it with the rest of us that may have started small fires in the oven otherwise ;)

Allison said...

Alli left out that im the one that pointed out all the mistakes she made and moved the oven rack for her while i had the mitt on. She failed to say that the broil should be on low, not high. Just saying.....